how to use myRibosome
myRibosome is a software to analyse genetic data and convert it to
musical parameters. This application acts like a ribosome in a cell
that translates the bases of the incoming RNA into aminoacids that form
the components of the folded protein chains.
The mapping of each proteins to each sound can be adjusted
in the lower right section of the interface.
To preview, click on the current aminoacid.
MyRibosome can read the standard genetic database files as to be found at:
The convention is lowercase letters, start and stopcodons are used
as if present to account for various forms of life.
The numbered checkboxes have following functions:
1: Toggle the basedrum on/off
2: Toggle the hihat on/off
3: Toggle the delay on/off
If 'gang' is selected, the sound parameters of all proteins can be moved together
Randomize will vary the data in the current protein, if 'gang' is selected,
it randomizes all data, keeping most datasets quiet in order to cause more beauty
It is recommended to use 'loop' to sample and hold the last 16 triplets,
whereby mutate can be used to flip random aminoacids.
To automate mutation as it happens in nature under the influence of heat,
light and radioactivity, move up the slider beneath.
To save the current content of the buffer, use 'print buffer' - You can later
save the output and open it as genome data file.
A typical way of using it would be:
- use 'open' to parse a genome file
- hit 'run' to start synthesis
- after a while, select 'loop' to keep the last 16 beats in buffer
- having 'gang' selected, hit 'rand' until you like the sound
- use 'save' to save your setting
- move up the slider beneath 'mutate' to make the music slowly change
- when there is a nice loop, use 'print buffer' to post the new gene sniplet
- later, edit your gene text and save it using the top menue
- next time, you can open that textfile with the 'open' button....
This program uses SCPlay, (c) JamesMcCartney,
(c) Julian Rohrhuber 2001, firstname.lastname@example.org
sources of the genetic mapping algorithm must be kept with the application.
Links to this Page
- enter. last edited on 29 January 2003 at 10:46 pm by 220.127.116.11
- myRibosome last edited on 1 December 2006 at 11:01 pm by Q1d17.q.pppool.de